Friday 8 August 2014

A Trip To France: A Wedding















 I wish I could say that I remember the first wedding I attended but I think I was a baby so I have no memory of it. The only reason that I’m aware that I attended a wedding when I was a baby was as a result of conversations with my parents about how many weddings that I had been to.  Anyway apparently I have been to five or six weddings in my life. The number of weddings which I have witnessed only interested me when the topic surfaced  in conversation with my friends. A few of my friends announced that they had never been to a wedding and if they had, then only one or two. So I rethought my opinion on the number of weddings that I have been to, and considering I’ve only been alive for fourteen years, five or six seems quite a few.

In addition about three years ago, I was a bridesmaid at my cousin’s wedding. Let’s just say I skip all photos from that day with me in even the ones with just my back in. I had just started secondary school and was going through that period of change between the way I looked at primary to secondary school. I’ll probably laugh at the way I felt now in ten years’ time but right now, photos from that day still haunt me.
However that wedding holds, not only some of the worst but also some of the best memories I have with my family. Also I was still at a stage in my life where I wasn’t embarrassed by my family’s dancing and felt comfortable to attempt to dance alongside them. I do wish I could still be like that, care free. But unfortunately I’ve turned into ones of those teens who gets embarrassed by their parents dancing after midnight, if not before. I am trying though and I like to think that if others had been in my shoes then they would have felt more embarrassed. By the way, I’m mainly talking about the dancing that went on at my Aunt and Uncle’s Wedding last weekend.
Five years ago my Uncle married a German girl in Whitehaven, England. Now you may be thinking ‘hey you just said last weekend and now you’re saying five years ago’. But just hold on a second: They got married in a small registry office which was then followed by dinner in a B&B. The newlyweds claimed that they were going to hold a big wedding in Germany where my new Aunt’s mother’s vineyard was in the next two to three years so that as many as possible of their friends and family could attend. But as you can guess that didn’t happen.
To put it simply, they arranged this second wedding in France. It was my first wedding that was hosted outside and I thought it was beautifully put together. Once I saw the layout in the garden of the hotel for the ceremony, I got a sense of ‘Twilight’ but I think that was mainly down to the fact that the wedding was outside.







during the wedding, rain started pouring from the heavens and we were given umbrellas from the hotel staff



As I’m typing this now, I’m thinking about how I would want my wedding to be. The idea of having a wedding outside appears so romantic to me and having the sky above me as I say my vowels. But then I remember how I’ve always wanted to have a traditional wedding in a church with a small number of close friends and family which is then followed by a big party with all of mine and my partner’s friends and family. I guess it will come down to what I want then if I ever get married and what my partner wants. Seems a way off but a fourteen year old needs a dream.  


No comments:

Post a Comment